Since 1971 the JU Institute of Archaeology has been located in the building at ul. Gołębia 11, the former medieval Collegium Minus, which was the second oldest University edifice within the Quartier Latin in Kraków, after Collegium Maius.
As indicated by the archaeological and architectonic research, Collegium Minus building was created by conjoining two earlier gothic houses. The remnants of the older of these two buildings, which are now part of the basement under the western part of the present building, date back to the late 13th/early 14th century and, together with a part of Collegium Maius, are the oldest known masonry structures in the area between Gołębia, Jagiellońska and św. Anny streets, and Planty park. The older part of the later Collegium Minus housed Bursa Divitum, that is the dormitory for rich students, first mentioned in 1428.
The remains of the later gothic house have been found in the eastern part of the present Collegium Minus basement. It is believed that in 1449 a wooden Collegium Minus building was built next to Bursa Divitum. From 1459 on, the Chair in Astronomy under Marcin Król of Żurawica functioned at Collegium Minus. In 1462 all University buildings, including the wooden Collegium Minus were destroyed in a fire which engulfed the southern part of the city.
In 1475 and 1476 Collegium Minus was restored and placed in the building where Bursa Divitum had been located. In the late 15th and early 16th century it was largely restructured and became a two-storey building with a basement. The oldest known Jagiellonian University emblem (from the late 15th century), a stone shield with two crossed rector's scepters, comes from the entrance to the gothic Collegium Minus edifice. In 17th century the roof of the building was restructured and fitted with an ornamental parapet.
In 18th century another renovation took place. The interior of the building was completely restructured and a third storey was added. A small brick basement leading to the backyard (the Professors' Garden) was also built.
During the 19th century the function of the building changed several times. It housed a number of institutions both related and unrelated to the Jagiellonian University. One of them was the School of Fine Arts, where Jan Matejko, one of the greatest 19th-century Polish painters, developed his artistic skills. After several renovations, the most notable of which took place in 1845-48 and 1921-27, Collegium Minus took its modern shape in the 1960s. Since 1971 the building has housed the JU Institute of Archaeology.
Adapted and translated from: Dr Dariusz Niemiec, IA UJ